If you've made a new or used car purchase, you will need to have the car registered in your name. This may be legally required in your state and will show that you're the owner of the vehicle. In order to make this process go as smoothly as possible, you should be aware of what to do in advance. By knowing specific tips for getting your car properly registered, this can be extremely helpful to you.
Tip #1: Proper documents
Before going to your local Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), you should know the right documents to take along with you. This will prevent you from making a wasted trip and listed below are the things to have on hand:
1. You will need to have a copy of the vehicle's title with you.
2. If the car is new, you should have a copy of the purchase invoice from the dealer.
3. In most cases, if the vehicle was registered in another state from the one you currently reside in, you will need to have a copy of that registration.
4. Be sure to know the year, make vehicle identification number when registering your car. In most cases, the documents listed above will state this, but not always.
5. You will need to provide proof that this car has passed inspection and you can use the paperwork given to you by your local mechanic.
Tip #2: Placing your registration sticker
Once you get your sticker, you should place it correctly on your license plate. It's recommended to put this tag on the upper left-hand corner of your plate.
This is where police officers look for it to be and if it's expired, you could be pulled over and faced with fines or penalties.
Tip #3: The length of your registration
It's ideal to know when you will need to renew your registration to avoid it from expiring before the due date.
Once you have registered your car for the first time at the DMV, you will usually receive a renewal notice in the mail. You typically have two options for renewing your registration and this either at your local DMV office or online.
It's important to know what to do when it comes to the laws surrounding vehicle registration. Additionally, you will have to ensure your car passes inspection for a renewal of your registration and this is something your auto mechanic can assist you with today! Visit a company, such as B & K Auto Tags, for more information.